Today marks my first year anniversary of this blog site.
With just 7 hours left, I renewed the site for another year.
While I haven’t consistently blogged every day, I have built up a fairly large body of work this past year.
My content has been classified as Social/Political/Religious Commentary.
If you have read my writing, you will know I am:
- No fan of Donald Trump. From the beginning of his campaign, I did not see him as qualified by background, experience or temperament to be President. His Presidency has only further cemented my opinion, and I see him as an existential threat to the Republic, its democratic ideals and perhaps its existence. The economy was already recovering without him, thanks. Any other Republican would have had his results.
- I am very disappointed by the GOP I once reliably voted for. In fact, I had planned to vote for Jeb Bush in 2016. I would have settled for Rubio. But my vote for Hillary had to be cast, because to vote any other way would have been a vote for Trump. That I refused to do.
- I am not as politically complacent as I once was. While I voted for McCain and Romney, my world did not come crashing down around me because Barack Obama was President. In fact, I have a better appreciation of him as President in hindsight. But then, Trump projects a very large mirror in which to better admire Obama.
- I am a moderate voter. This is true whether I cast a Republican or a Democratic vote. Our government was not designed for any one party to have too much power. It only works when there is bipartisan agreement. We are too large and diverse a country to operate on any other basis. I know “centrism” is not a popular political place to be. But it is the only place that works in the long haul, IMHO.
- I am a Catholic convert. I believe in a personal relationship with Christ made more intimate through the Eucharist. I have learned to appreciate Mary’s role within that relationship. The “Litany of Loreto ” and the “Divine Mercy Chaplet” are my favorite rosaries to pray. I believe in Divine Mercy and Grace. Mary Magdalene is my patron saint. I do not worship the Pope, although I honor him as Vicar of Christ’s Church. I am outraged and saddened by more revelations of sex abuse allegations. But I am not surprised that priests are frail and human like I am. I can only do the good that I can personally do as a member of Christ’s Church.
- That said, I believe in a zero tolerance policy on sexual abuse or any other criminal activity on the part of clergy. Anyone accused should be put on administrative leave until civil authorities either clear them or win prosecution. If the latter, clergy should be defrocked and serve whatever punishment handed down. If the former, they should carry a presumption of innocence and be allowed to continue serving.
- I am very open about my life. My family and friends think I am too candid and active on social media. But this is who I have always been, and I don’t know how to be someone I am not.
So, if my political views are not to your liking; if my devotion to Jesus makes you uncomfortable; if my sharing is too intimate for your taste; I encourage you to find other bloggers on WordPress.com whose work you can follow and support. There are many wonderful writers on this platform, and they all have unique viewpoints and ways of expressing themselves.
For those who have enjoyed my blog this past year, thanks for reading and following. I will do my best to stay true to the things I have outlined above.
God bless and keep you all.